Friday, August 8, 2008

Forks report

.....Creepy.....
Yeah, creepy, with a Capital C. We drove over to Forks this morning, about a 1 1/2 hour drive through the Olympic National Forest, which by the way is breathtakingly beautiful. Lake Crescent is by far the prettiest I have ever seen. But the entire day was weird, like I had been here before. Huge trees lined both sides of the road with occasional green meadows. It was very overcast with some fog and mist. Ewww, spooky.

We drove right through Forks and went to the Hoh National Park and Rain Forest. Now that was a treat! I was able to take a one-mile hike by myself through the quietest rain forest I've ever been in. The moss hung from the trees and ferns were growing everywhere on the ground. Occasionally I would hear a noise from the trees. Werewolf or vampire? (shivers) Never did see another living thing for the entire 45 minutes, but I know there were "things" out there!

After Hoh we went back to Forks to take some photos. Man, that place is crazy! Twilight stuff everywhere! The Chamber of Commerce was handing out maps to Twilight Landmarks so it was easy to find them. (Go to my Shooting page to see photos.) The only problem I had was at the Forks Hospital. We had to ask for some directions and this tall, dark, young, handsome, hairy, muscular Quilluite guy was very helpful. I was so awestruck that I totally forgot to ask him if I could take his picture. Damn it. I'm sure it was Jacob.

It's very hard for me to believe that the author didn't go to Forks before she wrote the book. The similarities are uncanny. It was extremely creepy to drive through the town and feel like I had been there before. All through the forests today I kept expecting to see creatures darting in and out of the trees or Volvos speeding past. Or some dopey girl driving an old pickup truck down the street.

Oh, one more thing. Yesterday Zeus somehow cut his leg and had some small spots of blood on the back of his pants. One our way back to Port Angeles he confessed that last night he had a nightmare that he had been bitten by a vampire. When I tried to explain that if that were true he would now BE a vampire he just looked at me with a blank stare. Werewolf? Nah.... Never mind....

I am so done with those books.

We are now in Victoria where it is warm again. Not sure what our plans are for the next few days but I do know that I already love it here.

$.10

$.01 (lucky penny found in Forks)

$.08 Canadian pennies

5 comments:

Eris said...

Great pictures! So done? You have to read them at least twice to get the full experience.

PS - A silver Volvo parked right in front of us at the drive in tonight. Our stay-cation is all Twilighty, too!

Anonymous said...

I love those pictures! And she's right, you do have to read them more than once!

Eris said...

Question: Are you giving us the actual $ amount of the change you find or the Looney rate? I suspect your 8 Canadian pennies are worth more than $.08...

The Numismatist said...

I repeat: I am sooo done with those books.

Jessica Wahlström said...

wow. sounds awesome. i wanna go there!