Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The footprint

Four years ago, the day after moving into this house Athena and Eris were here helping me unpack boxes, along with Little Ms. Eris who was not yet two. We were working in the kitchen when Little came in from the direction of the bedroom, accompanied by the unmistakable odor of fingernail polish. Uh oh, that's never good. As we looked her over there were no telltale signs on her hands but there was some clear polish on the bottom of her feet. I hurried back to assess the damage. I crawled around on the new carpet expecting to find a sticky puddle. Nothing except the upright bottle on the counter in the master bathroom. Whew. Thinking that we escaped potential disaster we went back to getting the house in order.

The next morning I found what has become my most cherished part of this house. The morning sun shines in our bedroom window towards the bathroom and when I sat on a particular "stool" (putting on my makeup of course) and looked east towards the doorway there reflecting up at me was a full little footprint. My first intention was to remove it but just didn't get to it that day. Or the next week. Or the next year. Now I have become very protective of that footprint. It brings a smile to my face each morning and reminds me how lucky I am to have all of my grandchildren so close and that they are such an important part of my life.

$.85

Congratulations to Mr. Eris, Jr. on scoring a fantabulous goal at the soccer game tonight! Awesome!

4 comments:

Eris said...

Oooooh. We should spray it with a finishing spray so it never comes off!

athena said...

I agree. Let's get that sealed up tight.

Muriel said...

That is very cute. Can I get not mop my floor because my child's footprint is stuck on with spilled apple juice?

Karen said...

More precious than anything :-)