Saturday, September 27, 2008

Negative $14.98


Yep, we did it. Eris talked me into running a benefit 5k (that's 3.1 long miles) with her. This is not something that I particularly enjoy. My legs are short and I'm not fast. It took about a half block out of the starting line to convince Eris to kick her long legs into high gear and leave me eating her dust. This was her first time racing and she did very well. She loved it and will most likely want to do more.

I'm a solitary runner and don't enjoy the pressure of competition. My dreams last night were about wearing the wrong shoes, old heels that broke and then my leather boots. Also, for some unknown reason I wore my heavy full-length coat. Nightmare times two. The benefit, which included an auction, was organized by my next door neighbor for a local woman who was struck while on a bicycle by an uninsured driver and faces years of rehab.

My total today is -$14.98. This represents the cost of the race minus the two cents that Eris found during the race. I'm sure I would have spotted those two pennies had I been at the front instead of the middle. She was kind enough to give them to me.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well - next time I will run with you - as long as I'm in better shape and it's next year - and you can run with me and we won't talk. I take about 38 minutes to run a 5K. Oh - and Eris - clearly you were dressed to the nines, seriously - I also wear t-shirts and shorts.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

I'm sure if you were at the front you would have found way more than 2 cents. Next time volunteer to ride to pony police patrol and take a long handled scoop :-) Good job, and hottie mom! Sharyn/KalamaQuilts

The Numismatist said...

Sharyn, you do understand that I am the one on the left? The one with the red face that was still panting five minutes after crossing the finish line?

But thanks for the congrats. Also, you might be interested that the baby quilt I donated brought in $55, which in this part of the country (quilters on every corner) was pretty good.

Eris said...

Yes, I loved it. No, I was not dressed to the nines. Strictly sports bra and running skirt + Grandpa's old bandana (which I am pretty sure he used to blow his nose in).

athena said...

blech - running.

The Numismatist said...

Endorphins. Better than beer, and the high lasts longer.