Sunday, October 5, 2008

Worms!

The worms crawl in. The worms crawl out.
The worms play pinochle on your snout.
They eat your eyes. They eat your nose.
They eat the jelly between your toes.

It has rained here for the last 24 hours. Hard. My running clothes were set out as usual last night but secretly I was hoping for a downpour this morning so I would have a good excuse to stay in bed. Nah, it was just a sprinkle, not enough to justify being lazy. Besides, it is Pajama Church Day (ask Eris) so I knew there would be no traffic at all on the streets.

After a good rain the worms are everywhere. Long worms. Fat worms. Old worms and baby worms. When initially starting out of the driveway I try to avoid stepping on them but after the first corner just sigh and hope that I don't hit a really fat one and go slip-sliding on my backside. By tomorrow they will be reduced to dried up strings on the road.

It was a beautiful morning and the fresh rain smell was incredible. There is a field down the street where the hay was recently cut and every seagull in the state was there feasting on the earthworms that had slithered out of the wet ground and being very noisy about it. Loved it!

$2.49

(Three of my neighbors watched as I knelt in the street to take photos of worms with puzzled looks on their faces.)

No comments: