Friday, October 17, 2008

Back to business

Getting away and exploring San Francisco was nice but so is coming home. The house is quiet and the bags are unpacked. I haven't yet opened the carefully wrapped box of Ghirardelli squares because once I do they will disappear too quickly. This morning I went back to my usual yogurt and shredded wheat breakfast. The past three days in Berkeley brought all kinds of unexpected "what ifs" to my mind. I'm still sorting through them, but here are a few. I grew up in the 60's and 70's. The mantras were "Free Love", "Make Love, Not War", and "Peace". Granted, here in Utah there was not much of that going on and I led a pretty sheltered life. Marriage and children happened shortly after high school graduation. As I wandered around the campus of Cal State Berkeley and through the downtown area I couldn't help wondering how different my life would have been had I gone on to college and immediately experienced what all of the students I was observing were going through. How much did I miss? Would I have been one of those arrested for protesting the war in Vietnam? How serious would I have been about education? Partying or working three jobs to pay for tuition? All of these questions and many more ran through my head.

As Zeus and I talked about it he assured me that his years in college involved lots of hard work. I have met his frat brothers and know that while that is indeed true there were many raucous parties to attend. His reunion two years ago was very revealing! Still, there is a little regret that I didn't take the path that many of my classmates took. (Hawaii calling?) My college years came ten years and two daughters later under the label of Non-Traditional Student. Looking back, even at age 30 those years were filled with rebellion, re-examining my life and the world around me and trying to find Peace.

Today I am back in my home and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

$.38 and 15 shower caps!

No comments: