Sunday, March 15, 2009

keen-what???

Zeus will eat anything. In 17 years he has never refused anything I made for him. There have been a few things that even I couldn't choke down. A couple of times he has kindly told me not to bother fixing it again, but only after he ate it.

uncooked quinoa

For a couple of months I have been trying to locate quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah). It is kind of a grain/cereal/seed that is very high in protein. Finally last week I found it in the health food section of one of our grocery stores.


After an Internet search for a recipe I finally decided to try, Quinoa Stuffed Squash. It was pretty good! Zeus loved it. The addition of tart cherries, maple syrup (partially substituted with Splenda Brown Sugar) and cinnamon made it not only nutritious but yummy!


(If you haven't heard of quinoa before you aren't alone. Even the spellcheck for this post didn't recognize the word.)

$3.32 (highest daily total without paper)

3 comments:

Becky said...

I am constantly amazed by your $ totals...I'm lucky to find a penny a week! But i do keep every one we find, with a little luck eventually they will add up to something great.

derekstaff said...

Love quinoa. So healthy and so good. I've pretty much entirely replaced rice in stir fry's and such with quinoa.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

I know I've seen this at Bob's Red Mill but never tried it. At SparkPeople it was on the top 10 list of good for you things :)
Sharyn