Saturday, June 28, 2008

"I'll turn you into a hat!"

Earlier this year Eris and Mr. Eris Jr. invited me to read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows along with them. The two of them read books out loud together nearly every night and this was the last one for them in the series. Since I hadn't read it yet it seemed like a great opportunity. Little did I know how fun this would be. It took a couple of weeks and frequently they were the ones waiting for me to catch up. We didn't read the entire thing together but met often to do a few chapters and to discuss what was happening in the stories. No one was allowed to read the last few chapters until we were all sitting somewhere quietly and wouldn't be interrupted.

A few weeks ago we started another adventure series, The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. These books are easier and move much faster than HP. Already we have completed The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. On Friday we started The Horse and His Boy.

Two days ago the kids were tired from too much swimming the previous night to go again (what???) so instead we all watched the movie version of The Lion, etc., complete with popcorn and other goodies. I've always preferred reading before seeing the movie so this was lots of fun. One of these days we plan to have a Harry Potter Movie Marathon (I've only seen the first one.)

Mr. Eris, Jr. is an accomplished reader. I believe he exceeded his reading goal for school last year by over 400%. Little Ms. Eris is already reading and hasn't even started school yet. This comes from having a mother who devours books as fast as she gets her hands on them. Personally, for me a good book is like fine chocolate. I want to savor and enjoy every second of it.

I better sign off and get reading or Jr. will be nagging me about keeping up.

Update, Sunday 8:30 p.m.: Read through Chapter 12. You guys better get reading so I can see how this ends! Aslan is cool.

$.80

1 comment:

Eris said...

We're working on it! Pride and Prejudice has been playing interference with my time. Sorry.