Monday, February 16, 2009

Utah ice storm

Last Friday morning shortly after arriving home from the pool I got a phone call from Mom. She said to grab my camera and then directed me to an intersection about five miles from our house. I was skeptical about what she was telling me but went anyway. Wow, was I surprised!

Sometime earlier that morning a water main had broken on this corner and shot water high into the air. The temps were below freezing and there was a canyon wind blowing causing the water to form incredible icicles all over the trees and the side of the building.

The spraying water produced feathery icicles all over the bare trees. But the unusual thing about them was that the added effect of the wind made these icicles form perpendicular to the branches. They were clear and brilliant. And heavy. The poor tree branches were hanging nearly to the ground.

I spent about fifteen minutes shooting before my fingers had also turned to icicles. Man, it was cold!

Kara, I thought about you all day and wondered if this is what your ice storms look like. And Mom, thanks for the tip!

$1.36

6 comments:

J said...

Awesome pictures! It looks way to cold for me.

Just Casi said...

I thought that was the coolest thing ever! They had it on the news....

The Numismatist said...

The Channel 5 guy was right next to me taking video. My Mom and nephew swear that I was on there but the video that is posted on their website didn't have it. Oh well, fame is fleeting.

Wendy said...

There are some aspects of Utah winters I miss and your photographs captured the beauty of them...I prefer however to appreciate the beauty from a warm 65 degree climate....

Eris said...

As a BBV alum, I enjoy that this is a Hollywood that nature decided to destroy. Blue and Gold forever!

KFinley said...

Those are much prettier than the ice we get! Beautiful photos!