Friday, December 18, 2009

Fa la la la la

Last evening Zeus, Mom and I attended the annual holiday concert of Sound Choice, a mixed double quartet that has been performing locally since 1982. For sixteen years I was a founding member of that group where I played the piano and keyboards. My exit came in 1998 when going on a stage and my right peddling foot became incompatible. I remember well sitting at the keyboards during a performance and suddenly realizing that my KathrynHepburn-esqueness had finally taken over and it was time to turn in the sheet music.




Planning and rehearsing for the holiday program began every August. After sixteen years of this routine and by the time I "retired" the melodies had become monotonous to me. The joy that others felt at hearing them was like fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears. It took months to get used to being home on Wednesday evenings instead of at rehearsal. The first December was also strange in not rushing from work to a performance. And it was especially difficult the first time I sat in the audience watching someone else play my songs at my keyboards.

It's been eleven years. This year I can finally listen to a few songs without breaking into a sweat. The concert last night was basically the same as it was back when I was a part of it with the exception of a couple of new numbers. Even the choreography hadn't changed much. Two new men really added depth to the group. The two original guys blushed when I told them after the show that they should consider ditching the women!

Eris and Athena are the two on the front right. They also performed with us for the first few years and were adorable on the stage.

Fa la la la la.....

$.47

3 comments:

athena said...

Nice hair.

Eris said...

I think you look great. And I look so slim :)

bleason said...

And Fa la la la back at you!

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you, your family, and your interesting and loyal followers. See you in a week. Snowy cold New England for the MoneyWalkers.

Bob and Sandy