Monday, December 15, 2008

Time for another celebration?


I haven't been out running since last Friday. It started snowing on Saturday and we've had flurries off and on since then. Not a lot of snow accumulation, just a few inches, but enough to make the roads unsafe. And it's coooold. The low temps don't usually bother me, but add wind and ice and I'll take a pass, thank you.

Also, the days are almost at the shortest of the year. Winter solstice is on the 21st (Sunday) at 12:04 p.m. and the days will start getting longer. It is possible that another off-the-wall celebration is brewing in six days! Hallelujah!

Mother Nature has been kind in another way, though. For the last few nights the moon has been positioned very close to the earth and the moonlight has been very bright. Bright enough to cast shadows in the house and to see the mountain cliffs clearly from our bedroom window in the middle of the night.

Four years ago before I discovered early mornings these things would have meant nothing to me. Mornings were my bane. Sleeping until nine (or later) was not unusual and staying up late to watch Jay Leno was the norm. Nowadays 7:00 is sleeping late. Who would have ever thought that Numi would like mornings? When I am outside and that five minutes of dawn occurs I sometimes stop just to enjoy the glow that comes from all directions.

It is 8:45 p.m. and I'm ready for bed.

Goodnight all.

$.40
The photo at the top is my Dad and Mom in the winter of 1949. This was one of the harshest winters of that century in Utah.

No comments: