One of my internet acquaintances Sharyn, a fellow quilter who makes incredible quilts had an interesting post a few weeks ago. We are about the same age and her post was titled "I'm so over it". Simple yet very thought provoking.
Zeus and I talk a lot, especially when I'm trying to work through a difficult situation. Last night we had a long discussion about how things change over the course of time, often going in ways that are totally unexpected. We dissected the idea of planning for the future, working toward those goals but also realizing there are no guarantees that those plans will come to fruition.
On the other side of the future is the past. The past cannot be altered. It happened. The only thing I can do about the past is learn from it, make any amends possible and then try not to make those mistakes again. But I can say I am sorry.
1. I'm sorry that I sniffed out the brick of dipping chocolate and ate chunks at a time when I was a kid.
2. I'm sorry that I used to peek at Christmas gifts and ruined the surprise. Lesson learned.
3. I'm sorry that I photoshopped ten pounds and a double chin off of me but not you.
4. I'm sorry that I said that mean thing to you.
5. I'm sorry that I didn't know about thrift stores sooner.
6. I'm sorry that the little squirrel ran in front of my car and got squished.
7. I'm sorry that my religious beliefs/political opinions are not the same as yours and that this might cause you pain.
8. I'm sorry that I didn't climb Mt. Ben Lomond last year. Maybe this year?
9. I'm sorry that I misjudged you.
10. I'm sorry that the frozen tomato plant is still in the backyard waiting to ripen and you are still looking at it.
11. I'm sorry that my car was so disgustingly messy when you rode in it.
12. I'm sorry that you missed the opportunity to participate in their lives.
13. I'm sorry that you wanted to pass me on the road and I wouldn't let you.
14. I'm sorry that I graduated from a college and not a university. Wait. No, I'm not.
15. I'm sorry that there are only 24 hours in a day and that summer vacation is only three months long.
16. I'm sorry that I haven't finished those projects that I've started.
17. I'm sorry that I'm not in Hawaii.
18. I'm sorry that they grow up so fast.
19. I'm sorry that I can't fix it all.
Now I need to get over it.